Imaginings of a Daydreamer I

Thursday 21 April 2011

| | |
Well, the last week or so has been a bit hectic, what with (busy) holidays, my flat being flooded and being moved out and in again (that's student halls for you...*sigh*), coursework etc etc.  So it's time I caught up with a bit of posting.

I daydream quite a lot, and always have done.  Have you ever looked at an inanimate object and imagined a whole story around it?  Or found within it an analogy to something that has been puzzling you for a while?  Here is one such imagining that came to me as I was sitting at the kitchen table...


What do you see?

Knots
Spinning
Like distant galaxies,
Amidst a vast canvas of space-time
Its lines bending and warping around them,
Pulled and twisted by their gravity
In an eternal dance of celestial bodies.

And look
A nebula,
Its dust all that remains of a star
Once in its prime.
Those knots...
Perhaps they are the lost dimensions
Curled up in far corners of space...


I have recently been reading Hawking's 'Briefer History of Time' and also Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe', both of which are written for the non-physicist, so are easy to understand, and well worth reading.  Both left me in awe of the beauty and complexity of our universe, as well as the recent BBC series 'The Wonders of the Universe'.  I might have written more had I not left my original notes at home...maybe I'll add to it later!

2 drops in the ocean:

skylarmacrae said...

Wow this is great! I can completely identify with your daydreaming and stories. It happens to me almost daily. Thanks for pointing out something so simplistic and overlooked.

RJ said...

Thanks for the comment!
Highly recommend those books if you're interested in the latest happenings in the world of physics, without too much jargon.
The universe truly is an amazing place...

Post a Comment