Because I love blogging so much

Monday 8 August 2011

| | |
I've decided to do two posts today :)  This is a piece I wrote last year when I was at home, animal-sitting while my parents were away.  It was very quiet...
I don't really know how one is supposed to go about writing poetry, but in a way I don't really mind.  It means I can go wherever the words take me...


Dusk
I stand
Listening,
Absorbing the silence
The sound of a million nothings.

The trees
They loom,
Dark figures
Against an expectant sky,
Heavy with anticipation.

A leaf
Falls,
Interrupted
By the noise of a moth's wingbeat
Cutting through the air like a haphazard glider.

The silence,
Deafening,
Oppressive,
Drowning out the multitude of thoughts
Whirring like a tornado through my mind.

Then
The traffic
Persistent, weary
Never ending and distant mumblings of civilisation
Hurrying about its business, another world.

Drip
A speck
Of water
Falls, quickly soaks into the dusty ground
The trees heave a sigh of relief

Time is lost
The seconds are years

Inside,
Harsh
Orange light
Piercing my thoughts, the silence gone.
Everything as it was left, chaotic.

The clock
It ticks
Constantly
Reminding us
Of the ephemeral nature of life

Time
Slips
Through my fingers,
My mind drifting into oblivion,
Thoughts merging into one:
Sleep

8 drops in the ocean:

Kevin Routh said...

You are a very talented poet! Your imagery is remarkable. You painted a very pretty picture with your words here. :)

Alexa said...

How do you go about writing poetry? Like that, apparently. ;)

RJ said...

Thanks - I really don't consider myself to be a poet at all!! :)

The 'ephemeral' bit, for your interest, came from a critical essay I had to do in school of a poem I disliked a lot...(It was called Summer Waterfall, Glendale - you might have heard of it)...that might have just been the negative take our English teacher seemed to have on everything though - I tried to counteract this by making my essays more positive, but that's another story. The point is, 'the ephemeral nature of human life' came from that essay - I was rather pleased with the phrase at the time :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful poem! They're not easy to write, you did a wonderful job :)

Just Me said...

RJ, you say you are not a poet is your poetry is so natural, classy and distict. I loved it!

RJ said...

Aw thanks! :)

Toyin O. said...

Great poem.

trump said...

Greetings from the Amish Settlement of Lebanon,pa. Richard from Amish Stories.

Post a Comment